An ongoing discussion of politics, law, pop culture, and fine draperies.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Revisionist Pitcher History …


Rick Thackeray photo, 2004


OK. Bear with me here. I've had a hard time finding time to actually upload over the past two days. As a result, everything compiled that related to the Red Sox brass's pitching machinations sits in a file, rather than posted here.

I could merely post this and call it good, but what fun would that be?

In short, Jon Lester will make his debut start for he Red Sox tomorrow in game one of a day-night doubleheader against Texas.


Meanwhile, Craig Hansen sits poised in the Sox' pen awaiting an opportunity to assist as a set-up man while Mike Timlin and Keith Foulke battle the aging process. Manager Terry Francona said yesterday that Hansen is "stretched out" and available to relieve Tim Wakefield if required tonight.

The New York Post looks at Hansen's re-arrival from the local angle, as he played college ball for St. Johns University where he was named Big East Pitcher of the Year, noting

Now Hansen seems to be in a bit of transition. The Red Sox are contemplating making him a starter or finding another spot for him in the bullpen. Even he isn't quite set on what lies ahead.

"I just don't consider myself a starting pitcher," Hansen said. "I'm being extended as a reliever and working on my second and third pitches. My goal is just to become a
better pitcher and pitch in whatever position they want me to."
The Herald's Jeff Horrigan reports that Lester's call-up bumps David Pauley into the bullpen in the short-term, and likely back to the minors later in the week. Cafardo notes, "but likely [to] Pawtucket, rather than Double A Portland, to take Lester's spot," adding:

The Sox were encouraged by what they saw in Pauley Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium (one run over 6 2/3 innings). Pauley, according to Francona, will be bullpen-eligible tomorrow and likely will be used in relief if Lester struggles or is on a pitch count.

Once Mike Timlin comes off the disabled list, Pauley might be headed for Pawtucket.

"I'm here for the team," Pauley said. "Anything they need, I'm here for. Whether it's in the bullpen, starting role, or whatever. My job here is to help the team. Tito talked to me and he felt with all the games and a doubleheader coming up that I'd be best-suited for the bullpen right now."

So that brings us up to date. I'll separately back-date and post the other stuff I put together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home